Sunday, April 20, 2014

Drama 2014

Well this year I am a freshman in Rigby High School. 
I stage/prop directed the Middle School's fall play. It was rather interesting...
I tried out for out spring musical, but didn't make it, which wasn't a surprise because freshmen don't usually get in anyways. So, instead I decided I would direct the Middle School's play… yeah I said direct.  Mr. Crasper calls us the Student Directors, but really, he knows that we are THE Directors. We do pretty much everything. Oh it was crazy! I absolutely loved it though. I had amazing kids to direct and I loved them all even though some of them could be a little trying at times. The play was awesome, and not to brag or anything, but we honestly had the best play. Crasper told me personally. I was so proud of all my kids when they preformed and I wish I had told them more. From all of this I learned how to be a better leader, how to be patient, and how to deal with lots of responsibility and stress. The play was kind of all on me… even though my kids preformed it. But Crasper didn't really lean in and direct so it was all me. 
Funny story about being a director:
Well first, let me give you a backstory. So, Back in the day, Shakespeare, arguably the greatest playwright of all time, tried to put exotic words like flap-dragon, strumpet, and beslubbering in his plays. Shakespeare's plays were all about the words and people would look forward to going to his plays to hear these exotic words and see was new tragedies or comedies he could come up with. Or what new part of the depths of humans' souls and minds he would explore. 
Since eighth grade, our student directors have challenged each other to use some weird word in their speech at the beginning of the play. We welcome all the people, tell them house rules, thank the parents and things, then tell about our experience. So this year I was a director!! I got to use a dorky word! So I was challenged by one of my good friends to use "Primate" and "Chimichangas". Mean. Just plain mean. I  mean primates? REALLY? I had no idea how I was going to use that when I went out on stage to do my speech. I told about my experience near the end and LIGHTBULB! I told them how there was twice as many "primate children" as when I was in the plays as an eighth grader. I got about 300 weird looks from that comment. I used chimichangas as I was closing up my speech by saying "Well, I'm hungry, enjoy the play, I'm gonna go eat myself a chimichanga." I got a good laugh from that. My best guy friend Preston was out in the crowd and he thoroughly enjoyed that comment because we have a running joke about chimichangas. 

I tried out for Troyplayers for next year. Troyplayers is Rigby high's theatre group. We get to be in all the play's productions. So yep! I get to be in the high school's plays this coming year and I am very excited!  


No comments: